RAIN WATER TREATMENT
Even though water is a renewable resource, is depleted before it can complete natural water cycle due to population increase, environmental pollution, cost, unconscious water consumption and climate change.
Rain water was accumulated and used with help of old cistern systems, especially in drought areas. In our day, rain water really helps to decrease water utilization in garden irrigation, which has a large water utilization rate on drought areas. Precautions that can be taken for water conservation in buildings can be sorted as; reducing water consumption with innovative technology medical equipment, eliminating seepage loss on building’s water installations, utilization of alternative resources as rainwater, treatment and reusage of domestic waste water, procuring freshwater from sea water in areas that water shortage is prevalent.
Reusage of rain water that accumulates in valleys is one of the precautions for decreasing water consumption. Cess box water is used in garden irrigation and toilet flushes. %90 rain water usage can ensure %50 saving of water consumption. Rain water can also be used in fire system storage tank.
Cess box technique has its advantage for easy use and reasonable price. Compared to big irrigation systems, cess box system’s water delivery loss rate is very low. %50 of water need for domestic use can be provided using this system. Rain water can be used for building washing, fire extinction, irrigation, house cleaning, toilet flushes, car wash and filling water to pools and ponds.
Main purpose of the technique is; reliably supplying water to areas that does not have buried or above-ground water sources, or improving these sources is not economical. For this purpose, increasing productivity on land and meadows that has insufficient precipitation and procurement of domestic water can be stated as rain water’s reasons for preference.
Surface runoff or cess box areas in water harvesting technique are roofs, yards, streets and squares, small dirt surfaces, curved areas or big basins that feeds seasonal runoffs. Water storage environments can be studied as underground storage or dirt surface storage. Dirt, sediment and cistern are used for underground storage; while tank, reservoir and pool are used for dirt surface storage.
ADVANTAGES OF RAIN WATER TREATMENT
- Rain water is a natural resource that is not used sufficiently. Accumulating and using rainwater can decrease problems about drinking and utility water or energy.
- Filtering, accumulating and storing of rainwater are increasing water opportunities for environment, people, wild life, industry and farming.
- Rain water offers the opportunity for easier treatment and more reasonable costs for having less pollution rates.
- Rain water treatment ensures considerable preservation for underground waters.
- Rain water treatment systems take the intensity off the waste water treatment facilities and sewages. Prevents peak levels that can occur during heavy rainfalls.
- Increases needed energy for drinking water treatment.
- Increases the risk of flood.
Regardless of all its advantages, big storage volume is needed for reusage of rainwater. For this reason, urban rainwater recycle systems provides more effective usage area.